Some product, some play

What I love about art is that it doesn’t matter what’s happening outside. We can always gather together and make something great. What I don’t love about the weather is that it really does affect how people work and their interest in an ability to concentrate on class. In times like these, structure is our key to success and remembering how important it is to give ourselves the time and space we need to create joyfully, not forcefully. We’ve worked hard over the past few months to produce many different screen printed fabrics, and finally have a stock pile of scraps worthy of some new projects! Some of these scraps were made into bags like these:

Patterns by Bee (beige/brown) and Kim (blue/green)
Patterns by Bee (beige/brown) and Kim (blue/green)

And some were made into bags like these:

And even more scraps were made into covers for blank journals:

Six different patterns by five different artists makes for quite a range of styles! We’re hoping to have enough inventory for both Mayfair and the craft fair that takes place in town sometime in May as well, so I’d like to get folks involved with cutting out pattern pieces since that’s such a helpful task! Unfortunately, just an hour twice a week is hardly enough time to get a lot done and everyone has some great ideas for their own projects so I hope we can find a balance in that over the next few months. Speaking of balance, we found a way to break away from our normal flow for a few minutes in the second class yesterday to do something for two volunteers who are leaving the community after their year of service very soon. Typically, departing volunteers are given a book with sweet sentiments and pictures but these folks are the traveling type and might not want to carry much around! We decided to make a bag for them with names and handprints to remind them of the friends they were surrounded by during their time at Innisfree. We hope they will be useful travel bags! If we have enough time, they might even be lined with some custom Innisfree fabric but we’ll see…here’s the result:

Some folks chose to wear gloves, which is fair because the paint is pretty cold and slippery- not to mention messy! It actually  made a cool effect where the folds of the gloves resisted the paint. There’s another custom project in the works for a family member, so more on that later this week! Brooke and I printed 3 yards of heavy duck cloth last week with Corinne’s airplanes. I was pleased to see our screens held up- and might have even turned out better than when printed on quilting cotton since we have a slightly wider weave than traditional screen-printing fabric.

Advertisements